The Root Chakra

Pin this!

Let's get down to the root of it all, and explore the powerful, grounding root chakra. 

The chakras are the seven main energy centers in the body where we receive, absorb and distribute life energies. They are located along the spine, starting at the base and running upwards to the crown of the head. The chakras are described as “Whirling Wheels of light” and each chakra radiates a specific color and energy. Each chakra relates to specific spiritual, emotional, psychological and physical issues. Balancing these energy centers leads to our well-being.
These seven chakras can become blocked through external situations and internal habits such as long-held tension in the body or staying stuck in our thoughts about things past or constant worry about the future. As a result, a chakra can become either deficient or excessive.  Therefore this chakra is imbalanced. Practicing mantras that correspond to each chakra can release these blocks and clear the path to more joyful living. Love yourself, love your day, love your life!

Muladhara, The Root Chakra


About the Root Chakra: 
"Our entire biological system, the brain and the earth itself, work on the same frequencies.”  – Nikola Tesla
This chakra forms our foundation. Located at the base of the spine it represents the earth element and is therefore related to our sense of grounding and connection to our bodies and the physical plane. In order to honestly reveal our feelings, we must first feel safe. When we are grounded, our roots go deeper, providing us more physical and emotional stability. The stronger we are in our foundation the more confidence we have to reach for our greatest visions. The root chakra feeds and gives strength to the power of manifestation. 
"I’ve had a problem feeling real all my life.” – Amanda Palmer, "The Art of Asking"
Location: Base of the spine at the perineum between the genitals and the anus.
Intention: Manifestation
Your Rights: Right to be Here
Self-work: Self-Preservation
Identity: Physical identity
Affirmation: I am here.
Color: Red
Element: Earth
Sense: Smell
Healing Stones: Lodestone, ruby, garnet, smoky quartz, obsidian, onyx, hematite

Psychology:

Basic Issues: Grounding, survival, finances, family, physical health, trust, safety, security, stability, centering, coming home, embodiment, boundaries, determination, courage, will, strength, vitality 
Characteristics When Out of Balance:Fear, instability, mistrust, insecurity, monotony, hoarding, materialism, greed, sciatica, constipation, anorexia, obesity, addictions to food, gambling, shopping, work
Excessive: Obesity, hoarding, greed, sluggish, lazy, tired, fear of change, rigid boundaries
Deficient: Underweight, fearful, restless, anxious, poor focus, chronic disorganization, poor boundaries
Healing: Physical activity, lots of touch, massage, yoga
First Chakra Mantras: 
  • I am ready for simplicity.
  • I am grounded.
  • I am stable.
  • May I be able to nourish and nurture myself
  • It is safe for me to be here.
  • The earth supports me and meets my needs.
  • I trust my body’s wisdom.
  • I’m here and I’m real.
  • I am home in my body.
“Enjoy your body, use it every way you can. Don’t be afraid of it, or what other people think of it. It’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever own.” – Kurt Vonnegut